The Pavilions just isn't the same

Automotive events of interest
Randalla

The Pavilions just isn't the same

Post by Randalla »

Took the Roadster to the Pavilions tonight and was surprised how few vintage cars were there. The venue has become the hang out for 18-20 somethings with their 90's and early 2000 cars complete with fart cans and splayed out wheels (stanced :lol: ). At the risk of sounding like an "old guy," I preferred the crowd and the vehicles the event drew before. Oh well, I guess the times they are a changing. Interesting that the Roadster only draws an older crowd, while the Z still appeals equally to everyone.
1967 1/2 Roadster- 1600 4 cyl.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
1976 710 Wagon- L20B 4 cyl.
1977 620 King Cab - L18 4 cyl.
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6
Vetteguy22

Re: The Pavilions just isn't the same

Post by Vetteguy22 »

That’s to bad. Remember a similar thing happening when I was in high school and used to cruise Main Street. We used to go up there to see what guys had done to there cars that week. Then as the years went on, it became new cars with no mods. Was pretty boring and sad. At least I met my wife cruising main. I’m one of the lucky ones because she is a car person also.
Rob
Randalla

Post by Randalla »

Yes, you are one of the lucky ones Rob. In addition to the change at the Pavilions, the Cars and Coffee at Mayo Blvd. was shut down earlier this year as well. It's getting harder and harder to find a large venue willing to take on the insurance risks associated with some of the crazy driving stunts of some guys at these shows. I think we are moving to smaller more specialized venues. We have a very upscale monthly event in North Scottsdale that draws high end cars, but the space is limited to 50-60 vehicles.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6
L320-Dale

Post by L320-Dale »

That's too bad Randy. I hadn't realized it has changed since I've been to the Pavilions. It's always been a good show. Do you think it will get back to what it was once it cools down a bit?
There is also a smaller Cars and Coffee near me in the east valley that has been shut down too, due to liability issues I heard.
Like Rob, I was lucky enough to grow up when cruising main in Mesa and of course Central in Phx was a weekly event. It was a great time.

Dale
Dale - Gilbert, Az
1965 L320 - Bamboo Tan / 1972 1200 - Sun-light Blue / 1970 240Z - Silver
theAngryMarmot

Post by theAngryMarmot »

The show is it's usual self during the cooler months.

The "old guys" don't come out in the summer. Just the younger crowd. In the cooler months - the old people get there early, and the young people get there late.

The Pavs is having an issue though. Seems the combination of crowds standing on the side of the streets egging on burnouts, and the people stupid enough to indulge them is causing a lot of issues though. The management of the show is having a very hard time controlling the event - and I think it is because they are looking at the wrong group of people.

The "old guys" on social media are quick to point the finger at the import guys - but it is a bit silly because when was the last time you seen a >200whp FRS/BRZ/Miata/240sx/Civic do a rolling burnout and lose control? The last several incidents over the years were all newer muscle car owners. There are a few videos of the dude in the vette, and a mustang wiping out at the show. Wandering the newer Mustang/Camaro/Challenger rows is a risky proposition when they are all trying to leave because they all feel the need to rev constantly and do 75mph down the aisles.

As obnoxious as the ricer crowd is - the vaping/loud music/riced/stanced out cars are tame compared to all the people who are buying newer muscle cars. The last several times I was there the newer muscle car people were 20x more obnoxious than anyone else. I probably witnessed each time at least 20 or so of these guys do burnouts and/or speed through the parking lot revving. If they are in a "club" then it acts as a multiplier. I honestly don't recall a single "ricer" spinning tires.

The cheapness of mustangs/camaros/challengers/vettes on the used car market has introduced a ton of people to high HP RWD cars in the last several years - and they are all eager to show off what their car "can do." A few years ago it was all the truck clubs causing issues (they are responsible for many of the Cruise on Central issues a few years back,) now it is the newer muscle car guys. The ricer group just gets the blame bacause their, well - ricers. Lol.

I don't particularly mind the ricer crowd. I find the annoying because I am twice their age - but I remember a time when I did questionable/silly things to cars and thought it was awesome. Most of the stuff I laugh at, because it is a horrible things - but sometimes I stumble across something done to one of their cars that is actually pretty neat.
Randalla

Post by Randalla »

I really hope you're right about the cooler weather at the Pavilions, Paul. I should have also mentioned that the event now gets shut down at 8:00, where as in the past it was more like 10:00. Don't know if that was in an effort to shut out the younger ricers or not. In the past they usually showed up about 7:00-8:00 and the old guys started leaving at that point. You're right about the ricers not doing burnouts, but there are a lot of them competing to see who can make the most noise, which can be really annoying. As far as the muscle car guys go, I've noticed the same thing. Really have not paid attention to the demographics of that crowd but will next time out. Actually, I can appreciate just about any of the cars/people that show up. I guess what's most troubling are the showoffs who bend the rules and disrespect those who come primarily to see the cars and talk to their owners. My prediction is that the number of larger car venues will continue to shrink as a result.
1972 240Z- 280 I-6
2003 350Z Track- VQ V-6
Turboman280

Post by Turboman280 »

I the summer I like to get there about dusk to avoid the heat. When they try to shut down at 8:00 it is not worth the trip.
Carl
1975 280Z restomod
Work in progress
AZhitman

Post by AZhitman »

Paul 100% nailed it.

I steer clear of most of the local "roll-in" events because of that very crowd.

Modern "ponycars" and the inevitable "brodozers" are, for the most part, driven by people I don't need to be within range of.
58 P220, 63 PL312, 63 NL320, 64 SPL310, 66 411 2-door, 67 SPL311 stroker, 67 WRL411 stroker, 68 510 SR20, 72 S30 RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 89 S13 coupe, 92 SE-R, 97 D21, 98 S14.